Monday, March 10, 2014

The Process and A Touch of Red

It's been such a beautiful day here in the Burren I decided to spend the whole day outdoors. Not with my easel mind you, but just out and about walking on the green roads and along the piers in the village.

I'd been keen to post to my blog this week, as my posts have been somewhat erratic since my last exhibit and I am determined to get back into a routine now.

The days and evenings over the past couple of weeks have been dedicated to creating a series of still life paintings that I hope to take to New York at the end of this month. I thought to let you see some of the processes I have developed around the creation of these pieces.

The paintings initial concept starts with identifying an object or objects which capture and communicate an idea to me. That idea may be a colour concept, ie. oranges and blues, or an idea about different or similar shapes that might sit together in a visually exciting way etc.

Once my concept is in place in my minds eye I then go about creating an interesting composition.
I achieve this by roughing in the objects in space and seeing how pleasing that is to my mind.
Once the placement is established I can concentrate on getting paint onto the canvas and pushing it around enough until I have the desired effect.

Here are some images to give you an idea of how pieces like this come to being.






















































A Touch of Red, (work in progress) - oil on linen canvas - 20"x20"


No comments: