Monday, December 21, 2009

Alla Prima

The majority of my paintings, especially the pieces that feature here on my blog are painted 'Alla Prima'.

'Alla Prima' refers to a painting finished in one session that captures the appearance on an object(s) or scene in one unglazed, painted layer.

Most of my works including very large pieces created over the past few years have been made in this fashion.
So if I was to attempt to categorize the way in which I work or the way in which my pieces come about in relation to painting techniques - this would be it - a kind of 'non technique', done in a direct, expressive style, with minimal preparation.

Working this way I feel keeps the paint and painting alive - the brush strokes retain a resonance and energy, and it leaves me feeling.. refreshed!

-Richard

No comments: